title banner for Derbyshire UK - Derbyshire and Peak District GuideShirland in Derbyshire

  


Shirland in Derbyshire

Shirland is situated on the A61 Derby to Chesterfield road. The parish was in existence by the time of the Norman Conquest and by 1220 the foundations of Shirland church, St Leonard's, had been laid. By 1200 the manor of Shirland passed to Sir Henry de Grey of Essex, whose sons later came to live in Derbyshire, with John coming to Shirland. The tomb of John's descendent, Henry, 5th Lord Grey of Wilson who died in 1396, can be seen in the north wall of the chancel in the church. There are also monuments to the Revell family, known Derbyshire landowners from as early as 1433.

Shirland pit was sunk in 1864 and by the end of the 19th century the colliery employed 500 men. The colliery provided several amenities for the workers including a bowling green and a Miners Welfare. The pit closed in 1965 and on the site of it's spoil heaps is a golf course.

There are several interesting buildings in the village including the 17th century Shirland Lodge, Furnace House dating from 1787 and Amber Mill House an impressive 18th century building with a Doric doorcase.

The church of St Leonard
church of St Leonard
Shirland Miners Welfare
Shirland Miners Welfare
The Hay Inn, Shirland
The Hay Inn

Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer : Advertise with us : Homepage
Towns and Villages menu : Derbyshire Peak District Accommodation : Local Attractions : Events : Derbyshire & Peak District Photographs
Peak District Holiday Guide : UK Holiday Guide : Lake District Guide