title banner for Derbyshire UK - Derbyshire and Peak District GuideRadbourne in Derbyshire

  


Radbourne

Radbourne is situated in an unspoilt, quiet, rich agricultural area, a few miles north west of Derby. There are no shops or pubs, just a cluster of cottages, farms, a church and a hall. The area around Radbourne is teeming with pheasants, which can be seen everywhere.

The Chandos family have lived in the region since the 13th century and the Chandos Poles, since the 15th century. Radburne Hall was built around 1750 by German Pole from a design by Francis Smith or his son William, of Warwick. It is a 7 bayed building with 2 main storeys and the slightly projecting central 3 bays, crowned by a carved stone pediment. Inside is some fine rococo plasterwork and marble chimney pieces. Bonnie Prince Charles was supposed to have lunched with the Pole family in 1745 when his ill fated uprising reached Derby.

The church of St Andrews lies hidden behind the old rectory, by a stream, at the edge of the grounds of Radburne Hall. It consists of a nave and north aisle seperated by an early 14th century arcade, with a chancel and Perp north west tower. The tower is ashlen faced with diagonal buttresses. It contains some medieval benches rescued from Dale Abbey, and monuments to the Pole family including an incised slab to Peter de le Pole dated 1432 and a 1491 elaborate tomb chest with an effigy of John de le Pole and his wife. The great wall monument to German Pole was erected in 1684, created and carved by Grinling Gibbons.

St Andrews Church in radbourne
St Andrews Church
Radburne Hall
Radburne Hall

Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer : Advertise with us : Homepage
Towns and Villages menu : Derbyshire Peak District Accommodation : Local Attractions : Events : Derbyshire & Peak District Photographs
Peak District Holiday Guide : UK Holiday Guide : Lake District Guide