Morton in east Derbyshire, is an ancient village, first mentioned in the will of the Saxon Wulfric Spott in 1002 and again in Domesday when it was in the possession of Walter Deincourt, head of an important medieval Derbyshire family.
The Deincourts, from Park Hall near Clay Cross owned Morton for much of the medieval period. When the family line died out, the estates passed by marriage to Lord Cromwell and Lord Lovell, eventually being acquired by the Sitwell family of Renishaw.
Coal mining in small scale shallow pits had been carried out for centuries, when in 1865 a deep shaft was sunk to work the Blackshale and Tupton seams of coal, which was to stay open for the next hundred years, closing in 1964. The old colliery buildings are now occupied by modern engineering firms.
A village school was built in 1737 which was superceded by the present school of 1884. Morton House, built by the Oldham family in 1752 is now Morton Welfare Club and the Village Hall was once a brewery.
Morton Church of the Holy Cross was largely rebuilt in 1850 but still retains it's medieval tower. There is a 17th rectory and a record exists of the names of all the Rectors of Morton from 1252 to the present day.
New estates have increased the population to around 1500. The village has 2 pubs, the Sitwell Arms and the Corner Pin and community spirit continues to flourish. The limetree in front of the Sitwell Arms was planted to commemorate the marriage of the Prince of Wales in 1863.