Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
St Bartholomews church at Hognaston
St Bartholomew's church, Hognaston in Derbyshire
Dedicated to St Bartholomew, the church contains an early Norman doorway with an unusual tympanum as well as an early Norman font, whose base was restored in 1992. The base of the tower dates from 1200. The nave of the old church was very small and demolished in 1879, being replaced by the existing one.
The tower contains two old bells, one cast between 1200 and 1220 (the oldest in Derbyshire?), the other inscribed 1670. These two bells are no longer rung. The present clock and three bells that are rung were given to the church by John Smith (Derby Clockmakers) in 1911, in memory of the first John Smith, a native of Hognaston.
Some restoration work was carried out in the 19th century which included the new East window. The Victorian pipe organ was restored in 1989-91.
16 Eaton Close
Tel: (01335) 371947
Return Derbyshire churches menu