All Saints Church at Dale Abbey , Derbyshire
All Saints Church
The curious little church of All Saints, measuring just 26 ft by 25 ft, probably one of the smallest in the country, shares a roof with an adjoining farmhouse.
The church dates back originally to the mid 12th century, altered in 1480, to give it it's present form. It contains a pulpit that dates from 1634 and the whole interior appears rather crammed with it's box pews and open benches. The farmhouse was once possibly used as an infirmary for the Abbey. For some time before 1820 it was used as a pub called the Blue Bell, the bar being used as a vestry, with a door into the aisle. It was rebuilt in 1883.
For more info see The Churches of Stanton-by-Dale, Dale Abbey and Risley
Return Derbyshire churches menu