St Marys Church at Coton in the Elms in South Derbyshire
St Mary's Church, Coton
The present church of St Mary was built in 1846 by Stevens but not on the site of the original church, which was behind the Shoulder of Mutton pub. It has a narrow west tower with a recessed spire. It is generally believed that when the original church fell into disrepair, the bells were taken to the neighbouring Lullington village, so the inhabitants of Coton can still hear the old bells when the wind is in the right direction.
Alan Timmins, Church warden on
Return Derbyshire churches menu