Brailsford village in Derbyshire lies midway between Ashbourne and Derby and is bisected by the A52. Brailsford is a pretty, red brick village, which with its, post office, village institute, medical centre and school, has managed to retain its community spirit and country atmosphere. There are many fine houses in the district which includes two 20th century country homes, Brailsford Hall, built in 1905 in Jacobean style, and Culland Hall.
The main point of interest has to be Brailsford Church, or half a church as stated in the Doomsday Book, referring to its status as a shared church between Brailsford and the hamlet of Ednaston. It is set in a delightful setting, about half a mile from the village, down a long country lane.It was originally built in the 11th and 12th centuries and consists of a nave, chancel, south aisle and tower. There have been later modifications like the 14th century chancel arch. The tower is ashlar-faced and diagonaly buttressed with a Perpendicular west door and west window.
It contains an octagonal font in the Perpendicular style, with the lower part of the base exhibiting the Tudor rose. In the graveyard is a mid 11th century Saxon Cross, showing interlace and a human figure.
The hamlet of Ednaston on the other side of Brailsford Brook has a manor built by Sir Edward Lutyens, but it is not open to the public. Also nearby at Muggington is the interestingly named , Halter Devil Chapel, built in 1723 onto the end of a farm house by Fransis Brown, a refomed alcoholic, who one night attempted to halter his horse, mistakenly caught a cow, and thought it was the devil.
An annual ploughing match takes place in Brailsford on the first wednesday in October.
For accommodation see
Derbyshire and Peak District Accommodation and Peak District Accommodation
Please also see Derbyshire Photographs for larger photographs of Brailsford