title banner for Derbyshire UK - Derbyshire and Peak District GuideChurches in Derbyshire
St John's Chapel at Belper


  


St John's Chapel at Belper

St John's Chapel at Belper
St John's Chapel at Belper

St John's Chapel at Belper is a simple 13th century building consisting of Nave and chancel only. It also contains smallish lancet windows. The Rawlins manuscript shows a date stone of 1634 on the porch. The chapel originally came under care of the extensive parish of Duffield.

Following the industrial growth of Belper and an increase in population, a larger church was needed and St John's Chapel was replaced by the large 1824 church of St Peter's. The building is now divided into two sections, the west end being used as a Town Council Chamber while the remainder is a heritage centre and meeting room for local societies.


Belper Heritage Centre - Reflecting the history and cultural past of Belper, The Heritage Centre is located in St Johns Chapel. Contact on 01773 822116

See also St Peter's church at Belper


Return Derbyshire churches menu



© Copyright 2016 Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer