St Anne's Church, Beeley, Derbyshire
St Anne's Church
The church of St Anne's was heavily restored in the 19th century but retains a Norman doorway, a 14th century tower and contains memorials to the Cavendish family.
The Parish register dates back to 1538. At wedding services, tradition and superstition demands that the bride and groom must not approach by the west gate and must pay coinage to leave by the narrow east gate, the wider one being used for funerals. In 1785 one lady died on her way to be married.
Contact Revd Canon David Perkins
Return Derbyshire churches menu