Weston on Trent church
St Mary the Virgin Church at Weston on Trent in Derbyshire
St Mary the Virgin Church at Weston on Trent
The church at Weston on Trent in South Derbyshire is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. There was a Saxon Church recorded here in the Domesday Survey of 1086 A.D., though there is now no trace of this building. The present building is essentially a 13th century church, prettily placed near the river Trent. It has a W Tower with recessed spire and Perp windows. It also has an impressive interior for a church of it's size due mainly to the tall circular piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, giving a noble uprightness to the whole. The nave is 3 bays and the chancel lower than the nave. The N aisle windows are from the 14th century. The church has a pretty, timber framed s porch added in the 17th century.
The church contains a font dated 1661, pulpit dated 1611, a parish bier 1653. there are also fragments of a large monument to Richard Sale who died in 1615.
The Revd Anthony Luke
Tel (01332) 792658
Return Derbyshire churches menu