Walton upon Trent is situated about 4 miles south-west of Burton, on the east bank of the river Trent.
To the south of the present village of Walton upon Trent stands the earthworks known as Borough Hill. This commands an imposing view over the river and is probably the site of an iron age fort and the first Walton settlement. Today the village is firmly anchored near the church and the bridge. Walton is an ancient fording point, with an iron bridge being built here over the river Trent in 1834. This was replaced in 1948 and again in 1974 by a temporary 'Bailey' bridge. The present structure has width and height restrictions. It was here that Edward II forded the Trent in pursuit of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, and the disaffected barons.
Walton upon Trent contains an 18th century Hall, a 12th century church, a hall, a village school, two pubs called the White Swan and the Shoulder of Mutton, and some attractive groups of cottages.
Walton Hall is a minor stately room built in Georgian style in 1723 possibly on the site of an older building. The owner at the time was one William Taylor, son of Richard Taylor who had bought the estate from John Ferres of Walton in 1680, whose family had owned land here since about 1350. Built of brick with dressings of Keuper sandstone from Weston Cliff, Walton Hall stands on a knoll overlooking the river Trent. It is 3 storeys high and has 7 by 5 bays. It remains a private residence.
St Laurence's church overlooks the river and contains a Perp west tower. The interior has a late Norman arcade of some interest. It contains a brass to Robert Morley, a rector who died in 1492.
Photos of Walton on Trent at Derbyshire Photographs