Church of St John the Baptist at Smalley in Derbyshire
Church of St John the Baptist
The Church of St John the Baptist was built in the late eighteenth century on the site of a much earlier church. There were additions and alterations in 1844 when transepts were added, 1862, and 1912 when the pretty, nearly detached short west tower, with its pryamidal roof was added. In the wall of the porch is inserted a 7th century Saxon Cross.
The bell tower was built to house a gift of 5 bells given to the village by the Rev Charles Kerry who was born in Smalley and interned in the churchyard. It was only recently discovered that the chime of the five balls is the heaviest in England with the largest bell, the tenor, weighing over 2 tons.
The Revd Lisa Shemilt
80 Main Road
Tel: 01332 880380
Return Derbyshire churches menu