Scropton is a parish in South Derbyshire comprising of the villages of Scopton and Foston. Scropton vilage, situated in the Dove Valley, was mentioned at Domesday as the largest of the 101 manors held by Henry de Ferrers in Derbyshire, having a combined population with Foston of around 500, which it still has today.
It has always been an agricultural settlement at Scropton though emphasis in the last century has been on dairy farming. Some of the farming families have lived here for many years and most of the people who have moved into the village tend to be retired.
The church of St Paul at Scopton was rebuilt in 1855-56. It has a prominent tower with a pyramid roof. The old school house also has a tower and was also built in 1856. The church contains 16 memorial headstones supplied by the Imperial War Graves Commission to mark the graves of airmen from overseas who died whilst serving with the RAF Training Squad based at nearby Church Broughton airfield.
It also contains the tomb chest of Nicholas Agard (died 1510) and his 2 wifes. His son Arthur Agard (1540-1615) was an authority on ancient manuscripts and heraldry and a founder member of the Society of Antiquaries. He is buried at Westminster Abbey.
Scropton has a number of sturdy handsome farmhouses which are mainly Georgian. One of these in Watery Lane is a base for the excellent 'riding for the disabled' scheme and it's neighbour is the Holmes Farm Equestrian Centre.
There is one pub in the village, called the Foresters Arms.
Where as Scropton is a true village, Foston is little more than a collection of houses strung out on the old Derby to Uttoxeter Road. There are only 2 buildings that serve the public and they are a filling station and Foston Hall.
The Agard family probably built the original 'Fostern' Hall early in the 14th century and lived here until it was sold in the 1770's. It was totally rebuilt in a Jacobean-Victorian fashion after a serious fire. In 1878 it passed to Admiral Sir Arthur Cummung noted for his daring exploits with pirates.
After a period of military occupation during WW2 it was bought by the Home Office who have used it as a detention centre and a prison.