Church of St Mary and St Barlok at Norbury in Derbyshire
Norbury church, dedicated to St Mary and St Barlok, an outstanding building by any reckoning is tucked away out of sight. The fairly small, aisled nave, mostly of the C15, has the tower over the middle bay of its south aisle, thus giving the nave an unusually symmetrical side facade when viewed from the churchyard.
East of this, and marginally longer though without aisles, is the magnificently lofty C14 chancel with four large windows each side, all containing mostly 14th and 15th century glass. Together with the great east window this chancel has been described as "a lantern in stone".
Within the chancel lie the C15 tombs of the Fitzherbert family. It had been Nicholas Fitzherbert who built the south tower, nave and chapel east of the tower. He died in 1473. The north aisle was added by his son Ralph who died in 1483 and grandson John started work on the south west chapel, which was completed in 1517 after his death. The church contains registers dating from 1686.
George Eliot's father Robert Evans, was born on Roston Common, attended a local school and sang in the choir at Norbury church. Members of the Evans family, grandfather, grandmother and aunt( George, Mary and Susannah) are buried in Norbury chuchyard.
St.Mary & St.Barlok Church
Derbyshire DE6 2EQ
Return Derbyshire churches menu