Newton Solney Church
Church of St Mary at Newton Solney in South Derbyshire
Contact Revd Martin Flowerdew
Morning and afternoon daily
Church of St Mary
An octagonal Beehive Cottage, built from locally made bricks, stands at the entrance of a tree lined lane leading to the 12th century church of St Mary. Two of the three church bells were cast just before the civil war and have the inscriptions 'God Save Our Church 1615' and 'God Save The Church 1638'.
It contains a collection of monuments, many to the medieval members of the de Solney family, including a headless knight from the mid 13th century and an alabaster cross legged knight from around 1375. The churchyard contains the tombstone of Thomas Gayfere,, a master mason who died in 1827, who was responsible for the restoration of Westminster Hall.
Return Derbyshire churches menu