Kings Newton village in Derbyshire, is situated 8 miles south of Derby, close to the village of Melbourne. It has a very attractive appearence with several 18th century houses and 2 ranges of timber framed houses on its main throughfare.
Kings Newton contains a 17th century hall, built for the Hardinge family which was burnt down in 1859 but restored by the railway magnate Sir Cecil Paget in 1910. The entrance to the hall has a fine wrought iron gate, made in the Bakewell style.
The Hardinge Arms and the Pack Horse are 2 fine buildings and very popular public houses.
The Derbyshire naturalist and antiquarian John Briggs lived in Kings Newton.