Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
St Marys Church at Ilkeston, Derbyshire
St Marys Church
St Mary's Church dates back to around the year 1200, but little is left from this period apart from the 3 East piers between the nave and the South aisle. The nave was doubled in length when the church was enlarged in 1909-10 by P. H. Currey, and the tower was rebuilt in a new position.
St Mary's Church contains a rare and remarkable early 14th century stone screen. There is a well preserved effigy of a cross-legged knight, presumed to be that of Nicholas de Cantelupe, who died in 1272. The Cantelupes were lords of the manor in the 13th century.
For services etc please see St Marys Church at Ilkeston
Return Derbyshire churches menu