Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
Church of St Lawrence at Heanor, Derbyshire
St Lawrence Church
The ancient Parish Church of St Lawrence dates back to the 12th century, though little of the old church remained after it was rebuilt in 1868. The 15th century tower is still intact. Samuel Watson who was born in Heanor and died in 1715, was once the chief woodcarver at Chatsworth. His epitaph in the church reads
'Watson is gone, whose skilful Art disploy'd
To 'th' very life whatever nature made
view but his wonderous work at Chatsworth Hall
Which were so gazed at and admired by all.'
All Saints at Marpool, just south of the town centre is a late Victorian church tastefully rebuilt after a fire.
St Lukes at Loscoe was built in 1936-7 by Bernard Widdows. It is a large brick building imposing from the west square tower. It has a light interior with contemporary fittings.
St James Church in Codnor was built in 1843 by Robert Barker and is a pretty stone building with a narrow west tower. The Chancel was added later. It contains a font found in the precincts of Codnor Castle built by the Lords Grey of Codnor and passed to the Zouche family in 1496.
1a Mundy Street
Tel: 01773 764871
Return Derbyshire churches menu