In the 13th century, Hassop in Derbyshire came into the hands of the Foljambe family who held much of the land in the area, later passing to the Eyre family who built the first seat on the magnificent south slope on which the present successor now stands. It was radically enlarged or replaced with a new house in the early 17th century.
During the English Civil War the house was garrisoned for the king by Col William Eyre. who had to compound for his estate for the colossal sum of £21,000 although so extensive and lead rich was it that the sum was easily raised and the estate remained with his posterity.
Between 1827 and 1833 Thomas Eyre, seventh earl of Newburgh modernized the house incorporating the earlier version. He moved the entrance from the south to the west and classicized both facades. The main south front is stone, of 3 storeys, with a top balustrade and four full height canted bays, the centre only slightly empasized by an elaborate doorcase with a pedimented window over. The architect of these improvements is unknown. The interiors are early 19c with chimney pieces by White Watson of Ashford in the Water. In the dining room there is heraldic glass from Warkworth Castle, Northamptonshire.
The Hall is now an elegant Hotel and popular wedding venue.
Photographs from Hassop and Hassop Hall can be found at Derbyshire Photographs
Return to Derbyshire Halls menu