Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
Church of St Giles at Great Longstone, Derbyshire
Church of St Giles
The Church of St Giles dates back to the 13th century with well preserved registers dating from 1638. The lower part of the tower and south doorway are 13th century, the priests doorway and nave arcades being 14th century. There are Perp battlements and pinnacles, a Perp clerestory and other windows. The chief pride of the church is the Perp woodwork, the splendid roofs with fine moulded beams, embattled cornices and bosses of flowers and foliage.
The church of St Giles also serves the neighbouring villages of Hassop, Rowland, Wardlow and Little Longstone. Inside the church are memorials to the Wright and Eyre families and a tribute to a well remembered hero of Great Longstone, a Dr Edward Buxton. In the early part of the 19th century, as an old man of 73, he sacrificed himself to tend the village during an outbreak of typus. Though the fever visited every house but one, nobody died.
For services etc please see Church of St Giles
Return Derbyshire churches menu