title banner for Derbyshire UK - Derbyshire and Peak District GuideChurches in Derbyshire
Church of St Lawrence at Eyam


  



Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels

Church of St Lawrence at Eyam in Derbyshire

Parish Church of St Lawrence at Eyam in Derbyshire
Parish Church of St Lawrence at Eyam in Derbyshire


Parish Church of St Lawrence at Eyam in Derbyshire
Parish Church of St Lawrence at Eyam in Derbyshire


The Parish Church of St Lawerence partly dates from the 12th century and probably stands on a Saxon foundation. The North Aisle was doubled in width in 1868. The South Aisle was enlarged and a porch added in 1882. Various other restoration work was carried out in the 19th century.

The church contains a chair that was used by the Rev William Mompesson, a Jacobean pulpit, a Plague register, a saxon font and a fine set of 6 bells, the oldest of which dates back to 1628.

eyam church cross
Celtic cross at Eyam church


The churchyard contains various interesting tombstones and monuments including ones to Thomas Stanley and Catherine Mompesson, the wife of William. She had stayed in the village with her husband and died of the plague in its later stages. It also contains a magnificent Celtic Cross, one of the finest in the country and probably a wayside preaching cross from the 8th century.


For services etc please see Church of St Lawerence

Return Derbyshire churches menu



© Copyright 2016 Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer