Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
Church of St Helen at Etwall in Derbyshire
Church of St Helen, Etwall
The Parish Church of St Helen at Etwall has an external appearance of being Late Perpendicular with the large windows on the south side of the nave probably being Gothic survival of the 17 or 18th centurys. Inside is a fine 12th century Norman North arcade, while the north chancel wall has a 13th century built in stone lecturn.
The chancel contains the canopied tomb of Sir John Port, founder of the local adjacent almshouses ( known as Etwall Hospital ) and Repton school. The Port chapel at the east end of the north aisle contains an ensemble of carved pews and desks dating from 1635, which until 1816 were used by the Master of the Hospital and almsmen.
|Church of St Helen, Etwall|
Tel (01283) 732349
Return Derbyshire churches menu