Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
All Saints Church at Elton in Derbyshire
All Saints Church
The church, called All Saints, has an unbuttressed western tower with circled windows and battlements. It was rebuilt in 1812 after a much earlier building was destroyed when its spire collapsed, possibly due to subsidence through local lead mining. It has a font which is an exact replica to the one at Youlgrave Church, a 12th century one. The original font was at Elton but without knowing its true worth, the villagers allowed it to go to Youlgrave, where it was recognised for its antiquity and placed in the parish church. After realizing their mistake and years of wrangling, Elton had to make do with a replica.
Contact Tel 01629 650791
Return Derbyshire churches menu