Derbyshire and Peak District churches and chapels
St Peters Church at Edensor in Derbyshire
St Peters Church
St Peters Church dominates the village of Edensor. It was built in 1870 on the site of the old church, with parts of the old church incorporated into it. The architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. It has a tall Early English tower and spire, Early English interior with 2 aisles, circular and octagonal piers, including 4 of the 13th century, clerestory and chancel. It is a spacious place of fine arches, beautiful windows and splendid fittings.
In the chapel at the east end of the south aisle is a vast monument to the 2 sons of Bess of Hardwick, William, first earl of Devonshire, and Henry Cavendish. William died in
1626 and appears in a shroud with his face exposed. Henry, who died in 1616, is represented as a
skeleton on a straw mat. Flanked by military and lordly symbols, with central inscription
held by an angel with a trumpet. All capped by a large broken pediment. Here, one can still see the wreathe sent by Queen Victoria, when Lord Frederick Cavendish was interned here following his assassination in Pheonix Park, Dublin in 1882.
Joseph Paxton is buried here in the churchyard. He was the 6th Duke's, head gardener and he had helped to lay out the village, as well as the nearby village of Pilsley. He had also designed the colossal conservatory which had covered nearly an acre of ground and was one of the wonders of Chatsworth, till its demolition in 1920. He was also responsible for the design of Crysal Palace in London. At the top of the sloping churchyard are the Devonshire tombs. Kathleen Kennedy, the sister of President J.F Kennedy is buried here amongst the dukes. She died in a plane crash shortly after her husband, Lord Hartington, had been killed in the Second World War. He was the present Duke's brother. The pesident came to visit his sister's grave in 1963, shortly before his untimely death.
For services etc, please see St Peter's Church at Edensor
Return Derbyshire churches menu