|Octagonal Toll House in Stoney Middleton|
Toll Houses were erected when local authorities were made responsible for the upkeep of the roads that passed through their parish. They come in all shapes and sizes and this octagonal one was built in 1840 at a cost of £114. It has a pretty situation, standing over a brook that runs down Middleton Dale. It is now the village chippie.