St Marys Church at Crich, Derbyshire
St Marys Church
Crich has many old gritstone cottages and other buildings, the most important being St Marys Church which dates from 1135, with it's Norman nave, columns and font.
The chancel and tower were added in the 14th century and the clerestory and porch a little later. It has remained relatively unchanged since. In the North aisle recess there is a good late 14th century effigy of a bearded man in a long frock, presumed to be Sir William de Wakebridge, whose family is believed to have been wiped out by the Black Death.
There are also monuments to German Pole, Godfrey Beresford and John Clay.
St Marys Church at Crich
Return Derbyshire churches menu