St John the Baptist at Chelmorton in Derbyshire
Church of John the Baptistt at Chelmorton in Derbyshire
Church of John the Baptist at Chelmorton in Derbyshire
The Parish Church of St John the Baptist, one of the highest situated churches in the land, dates partly back to the early 13th century, though its building history is a little complex. It has a broad, low west 13th century tower capped with a 15th century spire. The south arcade is 13th century, but was lengthened by one bay to match the North arcade when that was built. The 4th bay opens into the south transept which has lancet windows and dates back to around the 14th century.
Of the 15th century are the altered clerestory above the south arcade, the porch, the octagonal font, and the low embattled stone screen with an ogee-arcade and openwork quatrefoils above.
There is Baroque tablet to George Dale, dated 1683 and in the stone vaulted south porch is a gallery of early sculptures and grave slabs, some of them possibly Saxon in origin.
Contact The Revd Richard John BENSON
Return Derbyshire churches menu