Catton Hall in South DerbyshireCatton Hall in South Derbyshire


  


Catton Hall in South Derbyshire

Catton Hall is a mid 18th century building, built by one of the Pickfords, probably William, father of the Derby architect Joseph, to a design by William Smith of Warwick. It stands on the site of a former building belonging to the Horton family. It is a 3 storey building with 9 by 6 bays, with an office wing in Queen Anne style of 1907 by T.G. Jackson. The property is set in fine gardens on the banks of the river Trent.

In the grounds is a chapel built in 1892 which replaced two earlier buildings. It contains a Norman font which was rescued from the river where it was possibly thrown, when the Commissioners caught up with the royalist Hortons in the Civil War.

The hall and gardens are open to the public on occasions.


Return to Derbyshire Halls menu


More photographs at Derbyshire Photographs


Catton Hall
Catton Hall
Catton Hall
Catton Hall


© Copyright 2016 Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer