St Giles church at Calke in Derbyshire
St Gile's church lies in the grounds of Calke Abbey. The earliest reference to a church on this site is in 1129 when it was seized from Calke Priory by the Abbot of Chester.
It was rebuilt in 1826 with a narrow tower and embattled nave. It contains a fine monument to the builder of Calke Abbey, Sir John Harpur, who died in 1741, and his wife.
Return Derbyshire churches menu