Buxton Hall in DerbyshireBuxton Hall in Derbyshire
The Old Hall Hotel in Buxton


  


Buxton Hall

The Old Hall Hotel at Buxton in Derbyshire, was originally Buxton Hall. It was built by the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, George Talbot, whose wife was Bess of Hardwick, in 1550, replacing an earlier building.

Buxton Hall is situated over a natural spring, the warm mineral waters of which were the reason for Buxton's origin. This was the site of the Roman Baths ("Aqua Arnemetiae") thought to have been named after the Celtic water Goddess Arnemetiae.


Return to Derbyshire Halls menu


More photographs at Derbyshire Photographs


Buxton Hall
Buxton Hall


© Copyright 2016 Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer