Church of All Saints at Ashover in Derbyshire
|Church of All Saints|
The Church of All Saints is a prominent landmark in the valley. The oldest part of the church is the South porch, built in the Early English style in the late 13th century. There is some very noticeable contrast between the N and S arcades, the N being Decorated whilst the S is Perp with much taller and slender piers. The diagonally buttressed west tower is 14th century, though it was not completed until after 1429, when the Babington family came to Ashover.
The church contains a lead lined font dating from the 12th century, one of only 30 in this country. On the bowl are carved standing figures, thought to represent the 12 apostles, under a series of arcades. There is also a fine alabaster tomb chest with effigies of Thomas Babington and his wife. He was an important local landowner who died in 1518, almost a century after the first Babington had moved into the area. In the churchyard 4 memorials can be found to members of Florence Nightingale's family.
All Saints Church Ashover
Sylvia Dyson 01246 861811 and
Mark Hillard 01246 590369
More information at
Return Derbyshire churches menu